Call for Papers
Announcing an Issue of the IEEE JOURNAL OF SELECTED TOPICS IN QUANTUM ELECTRONICS on Green Photonics: Energy Efficiency in Quantum Electronics
Submission Deadline: March 1, 2010
Energy efficiency is an issue of increasing importance as the amount of Internet infrastructure grows to accommodate the demand for Internet services. To prevent the Internet’s growth from being strangled by an energy bottleneck, new and innovative use of electronics and photonics in network infrastructure will be required. The Information and Communications Technology (ICT) sector offers the promise of being a significant contributor to abating CO2 production. Fulfilling this promise will require the energy efficiency of network equipment such as access networks, routers, servers, transmission and switching equipment to be significantly improved. Additionally the internet infrastructure is facing challenges in scaling due to power densities of equipment leading to a need for improved energy efficiency. In recognition of the global importance of this challenge, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics invites manuscript submissions in the area of energy efficiency in electronic and photonic technologies for the Internet. The purpose of this issue of JSTQE is to highlight the recent progress and trends in developing and improving the energy efficiency of electronics and photonics in ICT. Broad technical areas include (but are not limited to):
- Principals and practices for energy efficiency of photonic and electronic signal processing
- Principal and practices for energy efficient networks and architectures
- Photonic and electronic technologies for energy efficient signal processing
- Optics and photonics for energy efficient router and network design
- Technologies for energy efficient circuit, burst and packet switching
- Novel network paradigms leading to significant energy reduction
- Photonic and electronics for low power interconnects
- Scaling efficiencies enabled by power-aware photonic and electronic integrated circuits
- Higher temperature operation of photonic and electronic devices
- High efficiency thermoelectric coolers
- Estimation of current and future trend footprint of ICT and networks
- Footprint comparison of optical with electronic/wireless solutions
Due to the focus of this Special Edition on energy efficiency, submitted manuscripts are expected to include some analysis of the energy consumption advantages of any technologies they propose or discuss.
The Guest Editors for this issue are Kerry Hinton, University of Melbourne, Australia, David Neilson, Bell-Labs, Alcatel-Lucent, Holmdel, USA, Tohru Asami, University of Tokyo, Japan and Mario Pickavet, Ghent University-IBBT, Belgium.
The deadline for submission of manuscripts is March 1, 2010; publication is scheduled for March/April, 2011. Ideally, papers that have been accepted will be posted online at IEEE Xplore 6 weeks after acceptance decision, pending no page proof corrections.
Online Submission is Mandatory at: http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/pho-ieee. Please select the Journal of Selected Topics of Quantum Electronics Journal from the drop down menu. Contributed papers should be up to eight pages in length, and invited up to 12 pages. Beyond that, a charge of $220 per page applies. All submissions will be reviewed in accordance with the normal procedures of the Journal.
For inquiries for this Special Issue, please contact: JSTQE Editorial Office – Chin Tan-yan
IEEE/Photonics Society, 445 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854, U.S.A.
Phone: 732-465-5813, Email: email@example.com
The following supporting documents are required during manuscript submission:
- .doc manuscript (double columned, 12 pages for an Invited Paper, 8 pages for a Contributed paper.) Bios of ALL authors are mandatory, photos are optional. You may find the Tools for Authors link useful: http://www.ieee.org/web/publications/authors/transjnl/index.html
- Completed the IEEE Copyright Form. Copy and paste the link below:
- Completed Color Agreement/decline form. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request for this form.
- .doc list of ALL Authors FULL Contact information as stated below:
Last name (Family name): /First name: Suffix (Dr/Prof./Ms./Mr):/Affiliation:/ Dept: / Address:/ Telephone:/ Fax:/ Email:/ Alternative Email: